Leadership might look like taking a big stage. Leadership might look like being in a formal leadership position and having positional power. But leadership is not limited to big stages or to formal leadership positions. These are just two forms of leadership. Moreover, having a formal leadership position does not automatically make you a true leader. Leadership is so much more than this and looks different for everyone.
To me leadership is about having a positive influence in the world. Whether it is through your (paid) work, your art, your creativity, your parenting, your care for others. We need all these expressions of leadership.
For leadership starts with you!
- getting behind the steering wheel of your life
- getting clear about the contribution you would like to make
- taking steps to bring this contribution closer
- the courage to follow your own inner wisdom
- deciding what energy and intention you want to bring to your work, to your interactions with other people
- staying true to yourself, your values and your dreams (even if society expects totally different things of you)
- saying no to what is not in line with your values and dreams
- an openness to learn every single day
- saying sorry when you mess up and learning to do better next time
When you lead in this way, you model leadership. You inspire and encourage others to step into their leadership as well.
So leadership starts with you, with the positive influence you can have with your talents and dreams. No dream you have about how you would love to contribute is too big or too small.
How can you have a positive influence on the world and the people around you? How can you be a leader today?
Whishing you a lovely day!
P.S. Did I give you food for thought? Did I give you a different or new perspective? Do you want more inspiration about how to experience more joy and energy in your work and private life? Or on how you can feel balanced without sacrificing your ambitions? Sign up for my inspiration mail here. It is free.